Forum Discussion

JeffBrown1
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Sharing Reports

I have several custom reports that I have set up that boss would now like to use and only my boss. I know I can "save as" to change who can see it, but I only need to give it to my boss and only my boss. However, Managers are all under the same Role so I can't go that way.

How can I give a report to just my boss and no one else?

------------------------------
Jeff

10 Replies

• One low tech solution is to make a Dashboard Page with links to those executive reports.  Then provide a link to your manager by email and ask them to save that link in their own personal bookmarks /favorites.

To get the URL link you can temporarily add a link to the main dashboard.  Then remove the link once you have sent the email. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      JeffBrown1
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you for the reply Mark. Out of curiosity, what would be the higher tech method. I would rather have this in his reports drop down.

On a side note. If you have influence in QB development at all, my company would love a way to trade custom personal reports with others. Since some people are naturally better at programs we have some that write great reports that others would like, but we have no method that I know of to get the reports to the others without having to recreate it on their login. 

Thank you

Jeff Jeff
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        OK well another solution which is also KISS is to create a Role with no permissions to do anything, not view not edit.  call the Role 
        Users Allowed to see High Level Mgmt Reports.  Put on that one special User in that Role in addition to their current Role.   Users may be in many multiple Roles and the system will give the most access possible based on all the roles.

The only reason to lock down that role to see nothing is just for simplicity for you, in that you will know that Role is only there to give access to seeing reports in the drop down and will not affect any other permissions.

As for personal reports, here is my own opinion of them.  First of all any user can copy and paste the URL for any personal report and email it to another person, that person can either just run the link once or they an also save it as their own personal report.  But now we have two different reports, intially identical, but they may start to drift to be different as each user makes changes.

But my manage issue with these is while we want to encourage creativity, once a personal report becomes important to a job position, that personal report lives with the life of that user doing that job. But these days, no one does a job very long, they tend move within the company or leave the company after a few years.  So when they leave and someone else inherits their position (with typically little or no cross training to the successor), then the successor is screwed as they don't have the reports accessible to do the job.  So i encourage users, once they make a really useful report to send the Admin the Personal report link and I just do a "Save As" to save it as a common report.

It's also my own belief that the only reports that can be located and trusted are those on a dashboard as links or button (or obviously the whole report itself on the dashboard).

]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Your Quick Base Coach
        markshnier2@gmail.com
      AustinK
      Qrew Commander
      Mark when I've looked into doing something like that in the past what stopped me was that anyone can visit any dashboard they want. They simply need to guess at the dashboard ID. So for keeping anything sensitive I worried that a user might do that and see things that should have been hidden for them. Of course this is going to take a special user but it isn't hard to figure out what a dashboard URL looks like. Also I know this is really only an issue on less restrictive reports than normal, or just generally not "current user" or "assigned to" reports if that makes sense.

Have you ever seen this happen?
        MarkShnier__You
        I mean sure.  90% of users will never do that, but here are 5 or 10% who are "smarter than the AVERAGE" bear and get the picnic basket.

I suppose that you could create and delete 100 dashboards to roll up the Dashboard number wheel, figuring that its harder to guess into a larger number.

But the only true security is role security to block access to the records.  But I will admit than can get tricky where the individual records are not confidential, but say HR comes up with a very revealing report of say employee turnover which is perhaps no ones business outside HR and top management to see an intelligent roll up of the data or very insightful chart which is confidential because it's not data, it tells a story.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Your Quick Base Coach
        markshnier2@gmail.com
    BabiPanjikar
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Did you tried creating a formula field and applying that to report as a filter criteria for those specific report. With this method, even though the reports are exposed to users, when they run, they dont see that data  being populated.  I often do this to place additional control on who can view the data in reports. 

Example: Formula Text field
    1) create formula text field in the table : "View Allowed-My Boss" = If ( User()=ToUser([My Boss email address]) , "Yes","No") And  <other data conditions> to filter out the data.
    2) Customize the report you and add data filter on top of you existing crieria's using View Allowed-My Boss = Yes

Babi Panjikar
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Jeff,

This is a growing problem for my clients as well.  I have not found a single way to keep control but here is my list.

• Only the Administrator can save Common Reports
    • Reports are driven with Current User filters where ever possible.  The organizational hierarchy is built into Quick Base, so you know who everyone's Manager actually is by User.
    • Field level access is set by role on sensitive fields

I have not yet tried to blend in the UserRoles() to the report filter, but I am suspicious that will be the next one to use for permissions.
    Does your Boss have a unique role in the application?  If so then that should eliminate anyone else from seeing the data in the report.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      MarkShnier__You
      @Don Larson. Good point about the new UserRoles function.  It's ​actually a "break though" type new function as for the first time a formula can see the Currents User's Role.  We have to remember that it's another tool in our bag of tricks and techniques.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Your Quick Base Coach
      markshnier2@gmail.com
      JeffBrown1
      Qrew Trainee
      Don,

Our Manager's do not have unique roles within the company, they are all "Managers" and have the same permissions. The other Managers do not have an interest in viewing the report in question only mine. We try our best to keep common reports under control so only select people can create common reports. This is why I would like to transfer a personal report to my Manager as a personal report for them.

Jeff Jeff
        MarkShnier__You
        .. you can email the single manager the URL of a report  and have them save it as their own personal report.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Your Quick Base Coach
        markshnier2@gmail.com