Forum Discussion

EdwardBaker
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Solutions for Auto-populating Join Table

Hello, I have been having some problems as of late trying to figure out how to solve an issue and was looking for assistance. I will try and explain this as clearly as possible.

I have 3 tables: Items, Orders and Plans. I have a many-to many relationship between Items and Plans so I created Orders as a Join table between them. I am testing out the tables right now so there aren't many fields established, but currently the reference fields between them are their respective Record ID.

The field I will be focusing on is KIT which is in Orders and Items.

The questions I have are:
Can I create a record in the Orders table that references an item without having to go to the creation form every time?
And if not, is there a way I can modify the url button to automatically populate the KIT field in Orders with certain values so I can filter the related Items based on the KIT?

This is what the table join setup looks like right now.

I had tried to make a plans table earlier that just consumed a tremendous amount of time by creating several individual relationships in order to create an interface to enter and process data. It had worked initially until I had the problem of forgetting to set up a few lookup fields and worrying about creating even more lookup fields when it seems quickbase wasn't designed to be used that way.

Admittedly the current way I have things set up without the join table works perfectly for making calculations while also keeping the fields available for merging into a document using WebMerge, but the extremely high time-cost of maintaining or making changes puts me off of it.

I realize that this may be asking a lot, and the original question can be solved through simply having the user input the kit field manually upon adding a new order, but I wanted to know what my options are at the moment.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

------------------------------
Edward Baker

1 Reply

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Edward,

Here is the structure I believe you have.

The value of [Kit] is inherited from the Parent field [Related Items].   You set the value as a consequence of selecting [Related Items].

However looking at the names you used I wonder if your structure should be different.

You need another table of Kits which will have many Items.  Then when you build your Order you either add a Kit or add an Item.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH