Forum Discussion

SpyrosSpyros
Qrew Member
7 years ago

Special characters in e-mail notifications

Hi,
since Saturday all my mail notifications with special characters or even an apostrophe (German letters like ? etc) are replaced by a "?" symbol. 
The mail preview looks ok, but when the mail is sent it is received with this question mark. 
I tried to create new notifications but the problem remains. 
All mails are HTML enabled. 
Can you please help? 
Thanks, 
Spyros

7 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Open a support ticket,  they might not have loaded all the appropriate libraries on during the migration.  They should be able to help troubleshoot, or give your a bug report on when it should be resolved.
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    I'm getting the same issue with special characters within QuickBase.  So they haven't updated their own libraries either.
  • This is a character encoding problem. I experienced it myself in the service worker demo which translated QuickBase pages from English to French this morning. Most web sites today use utf-8 encoding but QuickBase uses Windows-1252 encoding (at least today it does and I suspect it has in the past as well but I can't test it as there is no rollback). I first saw the diamond with question marks in my demo on French diacritical characters but when manually removed they still showed up on where some character entities were (  and &). The diamond with question mark is a tell tale sing of bad character encoding. This is also why users recently experienced some text wrapping problems on some QuickBase pages. Apparently in the move to new servers a character encoding problem leaked into pages containing non-breaking spaces and other character entities.

See

document.character Set

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/d...

I cannot report this problem myself as someone accidentally sat on my laptop while I left it unattended and I have to type on my tablet.
  • I'm having this same problem and would love to know how to resolve. In some cases it's not even with a special character, but a place where there are spaces.

The preview looks fine, but the actual email that goes out has those question mark characters.
  • Hi all,
    for me the problem has been resolved without doing anything. I opened a support case which was closed with the following response: 

Hi Spyros,

I wanted to update you on the issue with special characters not displaying in emails properly.

Currently, due a change in our email servers, the email clients like gmail, yahoo, outlook, etc, are still adjusting on their end to our change. Additional information can be found on our status page here:

http://service.quickbase.com/#!/

We are investigating it now, and will update this page when we have more information.

I hope this helps better explain what's currently going on.

Please note that the time they responded the issue was ongoing. 

Spyros
  • I have also faced the same issue in the french text of notifications body that time because of that was in the live applications. So, I have formatted all the notifications in HTML.

Gaurav