Forum Discussion

DavidDavid9
Qrew Member
7 years ago

Special characters not showing properly

Just recently when trying to add ? symbol in a text field it gets displayed as "®".  Older records that already had the symbol in the field display properly.  If I edit a record that is displaying the symbol correctly and save it (no edits) the text field now changes what it displays to "®".  There has been no changes to the application.  

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

8 Replies

UrsulaLlaveria
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Having a similar issue with a connected table of people's names. All names with accents are being updated with nonsense instead of their accents. This just started happening Tuesday, and this connected table has been around for over a year. What was the resolution for your issue?

------------------------------
    Ursula
      AustinK
      Qrew Commander
      Your issue sounds more like an issue with international text and character encoding. Is this happening in all browsers you test with? A lot of the times this is down to a browser issue because of the way it handles the character encoding. I believe if you use Chrome you can set it to encode websites in a certain way like UTF-8 via the settings. However I believe if someone is not set up this way and adds data to QuickBase you can end up with bad characters as you are seeing. It may be more complicated than this but this is what I have found.

Looking into this in the past and going over years old posts it seems like the consensus is that part of the issue is that QuickBase uses windows-1252 encoding and not UTF-8 as you might expect it to. From reading about it before it seems like something that can sometimes work but it can go wrong very fast when using names or text with accents or characters that windows-1252 cannot handle properly.

UrsulaLlaveria
        Qrew Assistant Captain
        that actually makes a lot of sense. The admin who inputs the names only uses IE, and every other person in the office uses Chrome. Thank you for the input, we will test and see what come out of it.

Ursula
  • Hi David, 

We haven't been seeing this issue across the platform but I have seen a few isolated incidences of it upon update. I would suggest putting in a support case with our team so you and a rep can take a look at it together and try to isolate what might be causing this issue in your experience.
  • This has been resolved.  I did open a support case and they were able to fix the issue.
  • Hi David,

Excellent I am glad to hear they were able to help you resolve the issue.