Forum Discussion

XeniaWatterson
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Summary field on sibling relationships

I am trying to make a sibling relationship on our Work Order table with summary fields from the lower siblings showing like traditional summary fields on the primary sibling table. 

Sometimes we need to do progressive billing which requires the creation of new Work Orders for Invoicing purposes but they need to be related back to the primary Work Order (where the actual work is being tracked).  I have created the relationship where the "parent" will be the Primary WO and all the new Work Orders will be Secondary WO.  But I need to create summary fields showing totals and averages of the billing information for the Secondary WO for inclusion on the Primary WO record for reference and also sometimes included in formulas. 

I try to add these fields on the Master Table side of the relationship details but the newly created field shows on the Details Table side.  I am sure this is a limitation of creating a sibling relationship instead of a traditional parent to child, but I don't want the information in the Primary WO being included in the summary fields as I don't want them counting twice when doing formulas for totals (not all Primary - Secondary WO relationships require inclusion of the Secondary totals in the Primary invoice because some customers want to be billed at multiple points during the WO (not rolled into the Primary WO totals) and some customers want a single billing but may get touch-point totals based on phases of the work (rolled into the Primary WO totals) but get a single bill to pay). 

So I probably talked in circles but hopefully it makes a little bit of sense.

2 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    We call this a 'Circular Relationship' and it is very rare to do.

However, it perfectly fine in this use case.  

The fact that the 'summary fields' are showing on the details table is perfectly normal and fine, because the master IS the detail.  So don't worry about that.

They will function as you'd expect a normal parent-child relationship, so carry on as you would to get the counts and form designed as you see fit.

• Great!  Thank you.  I didn't want to waste a lot of time on building the relationship if it wouldn't work but it sounds like it will be exactly what I need.  I appreciate your time.