Forum Discussion

JimLieder__Admi
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Table relationships using phone number

I want to build a relationship between two tables using a phone number field, but a phone number field can't be used as a key field.  If I convert the phone number to a text or numeric field using a formula, formula fields can't be used as a key field.  Is there a word-around to this so that I can set up a relationship for the tables using the phone number as the linkage?

The best I've been able to come up with is a report link field that displays a link from Table 2 to Table 1.

Table 1 contains customer accounts with a Key Field is Customer ID.  This key field can't change because record updates are imported from another system.

Table 2 contains phone call records with the standard Record ID# as the key field.

------------------------------
Jim Lieder

2 Replies

• Can you store the phone number in text format and use that as the Key field?    If the data entry is by hand, you have a form rule populate the text field based on a formula ​field off the phone numbered entered.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JIMLIEDER1
      Qrew Cadet
      The list of Phone numbers and Customer ID' has lots of duplicates, so using this as a key field won't work.  The Cytracom call records are imported into QB on a weekly basis.  Arg!

I'm going to put this at the bottom of the work pile for now. 

Thanks for your quick replies Mark.  I'm still amazed how quickly you respond over so many years!  You have hundreds of appreciative QB developers and end-users.

Jim