Forum Discussion

Zaya__OSSE-Cont
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Test this app as another role"" not showing up after QB update

Since Quickbase applied their March update and added an option to test apps as a User, the entire "test this app as" option has disappeared for non admin roles.
"Test as another role or user" is not hidden for these roles. Is there another setting to configure? I read through the release notes and test role setting articles but don't see anything mentioned about this issue.

21 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    I'm having the same issue.  I'm curious if they even testes that out during the development
  • So I reached out to Quickbase support and they're telling me I need to select "Edit app structure and permissions" in order to get that option which is not what I want to do. There's a reason why those users are not under Admin role. Still exploring alternative options. If someone finds a solution, please let me know. 

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    That defeats the purpose of the "Test as another role or user" checkbox.

#QuickBaseSupport #Fail

Zaya__OSSE-Cont
      Qrew Trainee
      Yep, that's exactly what I told them. And the support person agreed with me but he said it's the only option for right now. 
      DavidDavid3
      Qrew Member
      I too have the same problem. We have key people here that both train and support applications where this ability to change roles is a real advantage.

Our data is driven by roles, home pages and reports within each. Each role sees what they need to see and be responsible for. They just took away a major function for these key people. These key people need their own roles for their jobs as well so that records, reports, and work can flow to them in their job functions. I don't want to make everyone an administrator but I want certain people to have the ability to help train and manage others using the ability to put themselves in another role.

This is going to cause major issues for us. 
  • We heard your feedback that test as a specific role should be available to users with Basic, Sharing permissions, too. We�ll be updating QuickBase in the next day or two so that test as a role will again be available to app managers and users in a role with Admin; Admin, Sharing; and Basic, Sharing permissions. Test as a specific user will remain available to app admins only (Admin permissions).

• QuickBase is updated and test as a role is now available to app managers and users in a role with Admin; Admin, Sharing; and Basic, Sharing permissions. Thanks for letting us know this is important. And please keep the feedback coming � we�re listening.

GauravSharma3
      Qrew Commander
      Yeah.. Thank you for this. We got this option when I was doing conversation with one of my colleague.

Thanks,
      Gaurav
      GaryWells
      Qrew Trainee
      One of my users is having the same problem.  He has Admin rights to the app, but he cannot see the Test in Another Role button.
      Zaya__OSSE-Cont
      Qrew Trainee
      Gary, is this option checked for the user? If he has admin rights, he should be able to see "test as another role" and "test as another user" functions. 
  • I was able to test in another role/user. Now the issue arises that when I test as a user with access to only one application (Parent Table, Application 1), and then click on a related record (via Report Link to Child Table, Application 2) in another application, it takes me to the restricted application as the Administrator. I can't select test as user there because this test user is not a user of the restricted, second application.

Any ideas on a solution or did I just land on a quirk? It makes 'test as user' superfluous in this instance if it's a quirk.

RubyKapil2
      Qrew Captain
      The Test as another role or user checkbox does not work for other users that I grant this to, it works for me as an admin, but not for users in another role. So frustrating. Why is that checkbox even there?
      AdminEntry
      Qrew Cadet
      Agreed. It's not working for us either, and it's very frustrating.  Users in a role in which "Hide UI for: Test as another role or user" is not checked are not able to "test as another role.
      EvanMartinez
      Qrew Elite
      Hi Juan,

One of the requirements for the Test as User ability is that the role needs to have access to Admin permissions as it could otherwise be granting users without that level of permissions visibility into other roles and what they are able to see which might fall outside of their own permissions. That UI component is left in place since a role could always have Admin access turned on by checking the App Permissions checkbox but it might still be desirable to hide that option from them so they leave the permissions surfaced. If you have a use case where it would be helpful for non-Admins to be able to test as a role I would suggest submitting a request to our User Voice with the details of what you are looking for. User Voice is a user feedback tool our product team uses to track user interest in future enhancements and requests. Our test as user functionality actually came out of requests from User Voice and admin interest in better visibility. The Quick Base User voice can most easily be accessed from the My Apps page in Quick Base by clicking on the orange Feedback tab that appears on the right of the page or at http://quickbase.uservoice.com by signing in with your Quick Base credentials. I hope that information is helpful Juan and thank you very much for your time today. _