Forum Discussion

ShaneSelasky
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Timestamp a field when it isn't blank

I have two fields, employee (which is field type user) and Date and time (which is field type date and time formula).  My objective is that when an employee is selected from the drop down of the employee field, then i want the date and time field to automatically timestamp the date and time.  Creating a rule wasn't working because the only option is if the employee is equal or not equal to a specific employee.  This won't work because the employee field may be different all the time.  

Am i on the right path of creating a formula for the date and time?  I was thinking using an if statement (if employee is not blank then timestamp date and time) but couldn't get it to work.  was getting a syntax error.  if there is a better way then i am open to that.  Want to make this as dynamic as possible and least management in the future as possible. 

------------------------------
Thank you.

Shane at Synergy Fiber

2 Replies

• So i had a table in which all the employees were listed.  Tried to create a relationship and it only work once.  By this i mean when i built my relationship between the two tables (employees and onboarding), and made the employee field a proxy reference, then i could create a rule that if the employee field was not equal to blank, then the field date and time would change.  However, i will have multiple fields in which i need to select an employees name to be assigned a task.  So this won't work.

Shane Selasky
      ShaneSelasky
      Qrew Cadet
      i figured it out.  Had to create a text - formula field called Full Name in the table that converted the user field into a text.  Used the command UserToName.  Then i created the relationship between the employee table and onboarding table.  User Field as the reference and the Full name field as reference proxy.  Lastly i have to recreate this relationship several times so i have multiple fields i can select the user.

Shane Selasky