Forum Discussion

MaryGaughan
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Track Active Employees by Day

I have a table which lists employees and a formula field which determines if they are currently active based on their start and end date. Any suggestions on how I could generate a table or report that keeps record of the number of active employees each day?  Thanks!

------------------------------
Mary Gaughan

7 Replies

• Hi Mary!

What you're referring to is commonly referred to as a snapshot table or report. (not to be confused with the snapshot field option)

Quick Base has outlined this in a blog post here: https://community.quickbase.com/browse/blogs/blogviewer?BlogKey=4df369e1-76fc-42da-87d2-90419820d890

Let me know if you find this helpful 😊👍

Sharon Faust (QuickBaseJunkie.com)
    Founder, Quick Base Junkie
    https://quickbasejunkie.com
      MaryGaughan
      Qrew Member
      Thanks, Sharon! This worked great. Do you happen to know if there is any other way to do this through calculations instead of snapshots? Just thinking (1) the snapshot table will have a ton of records and (2) if someone is unable to enter a new hire or departure in time, it may miss the snapshot. No worries if not.. this solution is great and I really appreciate the help! -Mary

Mary Gaughan
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        Mary,
        If you just was to create 1 record per day of the total number of active employees, I would suggest the following.
        I would set up a new table called employee daily record total. This would be a helper table that would just have one record in it. So you create that one record and then lock down anybody else for Adding records. 

The record ID will be record ID number one. Then you would create a relationship back to your employees table using a formula reference field of a formula numeric equal to a formula of 1.

Then you would make a summary field of the number of active employees.  We will also need to have a helper field called [Today] with a formula of Today().

OK so that gives you the active employee count for today, but how do you create the history?
        What I would then do is have a new table called employee count history. It will have two tables. The date and the total number of employees. 

Then create an automation to run either seven days a week or five days a week which would copy the value of that summary table and copy the value of today into the date field and obviously the total number of active employees into the employee account table.  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com