Forum Discussion

KatherineOakey
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Updating a field in a child record based on selecting parent summary value

Not a very good title.

Event (parent to Registration)

Registration (parent to Ticket)

EOTI registers for a specific Event date and creates a Ticket record (working as desired :) )

Now I would like a different role, say MG, to be able to edit a field in Ticket based upon selecting a date (via calendar or pick list), seeing the list of people registered for that date, selecting the individual and updating their Ticket.

I've played with a custom form on Registration which gets the date pick working as I'd like, then displaying a report with the limited fields I'd like the MG to either see or update but when I clicked the field to update, took me to a different report (I think, now that I think about it, maybe have been a form) but all the fields in Ticket were displayed, not what I wanted.

I've played with a custom form on Ticket which kind of works the way I want but the date selection, when I click the dropdown shows me a pick list for reflecting every single Registration date (ie, 30 registrations should me 30 dates even if they are all the same).  I'd like to 'summarize' or group the dates.

Still learning all that QB can do for me.  My thought process was form on the child (Ticket) and pull from the parent (Registration).  Is that part of my thought process correct?  Or do I want a form on Registration and use an embedded report to list the Tickets for that date?  Once I see the list of Tickets for that date, can I go back to the form to edit the desired remaining fields in Tickets?  (even asking this has made me think of things to check out and/or try).

TIA!

------------------------------
Katherine Oakey

10 Replies

• Mis-asked the last part.

Form on Registration, embedded report for Tickets, select the Ticket record to be updated and resume the update to the Ticket fields?

Katherine Oakey
      DonLarson
      Qrew Commander

Katherine,

Would you draw a picture of the relationships?  I am not following the architecture of the application.

Don Larson
      Paasporter
      Westlake OH
        KatherineOakey
        Qrew Member

Event - has unique date/time and associated marketing data.

Registration - one record for every participant in an event including the date/time selected from Event- child of the Event>Registration relationship

Ticket - one record for every participant in an event and includes problem statement.

I've left out a Client table in the initial description.  A Client may have many Tickets, A Client may register for multiple events so actually:

Events -> Clients

Events -> Registrations

Clients -> Registrations

Clients -> Tickets

Registrations -> Tickets

parent -> child (for above reference)

Registrations are driven by an EOTI form that gets the Ticket added and, if needed, a new Client record added.

I would like to allow internal user to select the day of the event (I may be able to use use Today, have to think about that), display a list of all the Tickets specific to this Event (I can do that via a field in Tickets), view the associated problem and, optionally, update that specific Ticket record's solution field.

Katherine Oakey