Forum Discussion

DineshRampal
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Upload an Excel file with only validated rows.

Hi 
 I wish to upload an excel file into Quickbase and also perform validations while uploading so that I upload only validated rows.  
The default quickbase Table upload functionality will not work as it doesn't allow me to write customise validation for each row. I am ok to write Javascript for this, but not sure on how do i construct the javascript.

Also open to  use Pipelines, but to be honest I am still not very comfirtable with pipelines. 

Would appreciate a help 

Many Thanks
Dinesh Rampal

------------------------------
Dineshdinesh.rampal@apollotyres.com

5 Replies

• Not sure if this helps, I do a lot of this but I use VBA to validate data and then push the data using an API (again from VBA) to upload the data.  ​

Greg
      DineshRampal
      Qrew Cadet
      I am more comfortable using Javascripts. Is there a way possible using Javascript you know ?

Many thanks
      Dinesh

dinesh.rampal@apollotyres.com
  • I would suggest that you import into steps.

The first step will just bring all the data into a scratchpad table in QuickBase where the validation will be done. Then I presume you would have a simple checkbox formula to calculate if the data is valid and you would make a button or Process to do a saved table to table copy API run import to move the data into the real table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DineshRampal
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks Marks. I would prefer one step process, using some Java scripting OR pipeline as many users would be uploading data and hence want it to be more efficient.

DineshDineshdinesh.rampal@apollotyres.com
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

I don't see how you can have a one step process without having a way for the uploaders  to deal with their rejects. 

My suggested solution could allow each separate  user to deal with their own rejects. 

My solution would be an upload and a button click. 

Also, It sounds like you would be using up a a lot of Step Runs if you are dealing with records one by one in pipelines.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com