Forum Discussion

ChrisSipes
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

URL button to create document copy

I have a table of "requisitions" and a table of "documents" which are linked.  The requisitions can have many documents.  These may be pdf or docx or they may be photos or other items as well, depending on the request. 

I have one "blank document" that is used in certain types of requisitions so it is used a lot, but not every time.  It is a pdf which needs to be attached by the requestor in blank format.  It is then revised by various people throughout the process using the QuickBase document revision process that is covered in the online manual.  

I would like to put a button on the form for the New Requisition that will add the specific "blank document" if the user clicks the button.  I have uploaded "blank document.pdf" to my document repository and I have the full URL for it. 

Here is my button to add a document. 

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_DOCUMENTS] & "?a=API_GenAddRecordForm&_fid_9=" & URLEncode ([Requisition #])& "&z=" & Rurl()

How do I make a variation that will select "blank document.pdf" specifically and create a copy of it for that Requisition (and leave the original document for the next requisition)? 

Thanks,
Chris
ā€‹

------------------------------
Chris Sipes

3 Replies

• Since the document is essentially a template, why not just provide your users the link to download it?

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      ChrisSipes
      Qrew Cadet
      Blake,
      Thanks for the suggestion. 
      Currently, I email the file out to everyone.  They save it locally, and then upload as needed.  It works, but not efficiently.

I first considered putting it on our network drives.  That would require our employees to connect via VPN to get it.  That is possible, but even less efficient.  They would revert to saving it locally, even if I could figure out how to provide a link.

I also considered putting it on Google Drive or Dropbox and just putting in the link.  The problem there is permissions.  While it is not super-private, I would not want it open to the world.   Contrary to popular belief, not everyone has a Google account, and trying to manage personal Google accounts with our enterprise information just seemed wrong in many ways. 

It is not catastrophic.  It just seemed like it should be easier.

Chris Sipes
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        I think you've misunderstood. If you upload the blank document to Quickbase, you could then provide your users with the link to download it from Quickbase.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/