Forum Discussion

JohnRoss2
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago

URL Button to Save the current Record, and then close the Window

Hey guys, just a small question this time.  I have a nice URL Button setup to display a small popup window via that "javascript:void (window.open" command that requires a user to enter some data.  I'd like to have another URL button that saves said record and then closes said popup window.  Reason being is I only want them to be able to save if they enter the correct data (button will be hidden until they do), but also I'd like for the window to be closed automatically with the button to keep it from being tedious.

Is this possible?

------------------------------
John Ross

3 Replies

• Is there a reason that you want to do this in a popup? If the popup isn't a deal-breaker, you could very easily have the button direct the user to a different form and then use Form Rules to abort the save if the correct value isn't entered.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      JohnRoss2
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Blake, thanks for your reply!

Our original plan was to go to a different form in the same window, and then go back, but we thought it might be less confusing to the users if it was a popup instead.  We are trying to design the system to be as easy to understand as possible to cut down on training and mistakes.

John Ross
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        I would encourage you to go that route, rather than the javascript popup. The use of javascript - except for calling code pages - isn't something that's supported by Quickbase and can't be guaranteed to work consistently or long-term. 

Pushing users to a different form is a pretty standard practice and your users will become accustomed to it. If you're concerned about user errors, you can also start incorporating message banners (see below example) on your more complex forms or where users tend to make most of the mistakes.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/