Forum Discussion

JenniferPeterso
Qrew Member
5 years ago

User Field from Child Record to Parent

I am used to using a cycle of relationship fields to get milestone dates from the Child Record "Tasks" to the Parent Record "Reports." I use a Date Summary on the Tasks table, and a Lookup Field on the Reports table to get the date of a specific Task milestone to show up on the Reports table. I'm not having any luck using this same process to get the User who completed the specific Task to show up on the Reports record. Any suggestions?

------------------------------
Jennifer Peterson

4 Replies

• Jennifer,
    Recently, we have new capability in Summary field types in that we can summarize text information.  But that does not apply to user field types.

but no problem.

we can just make a field called [userid in text format]

with a formula of

usertoemail([my userid field])

then use the combined text summary field type to float that text up to the parent.  You will, I assume have a filter in that field for say a date to limit the summary field to the particular user you are looking for.

Then if you need to get that text field back to being a user field up in the parent, you can make a new formula user field

ToUser([my combined text summary of the user email in text format])

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JenniferPeterso
      Qrew Member
      I keep getting an "Expecting text and found textlist" error when trying to convert it back to the User.

Jennifer Peterson
        LaurenJeppson
        Qrew Member
        Was a solution to this issue ever found? I'm trying to do the same thing, but getting the same error message.

Lauren Jeppson