Forum Discussion

ScottPugh
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Using Shared field in Multi Select

Want to confirm if the behavior I am seeing is repeatable by others and also if others believe this is a bug

I have roles set up in app which limit the view and modify access to records in Table A  based on a custom rule

In Table B I have a multi select field which is set to leverage the key field of Table A.

When I view the mulit select field I am able to see ALL records in Table A.    My hope was I would only be able to see the key field value for records in Table A which my user's role has access to view.  In other words QB seems to be ignoring the role custom rules when a field is used as a shared field in another table.

Thanks to anyone who can confirm they are seeing the same behavior and if you also believe its a bug.

------------------------------
Scott Pugh

3 Replies

• Hi Scott,

What you are seeing would be the expected behavior when you use the option in the field properties to base a fields choices on values from another field. Since that is being set on the field by an Admin it isn't applying the usual view permissions used on records and instead simply pulls over the list of options available and inputs it into the field. This means that your users would see all choices instead of just choices that they have permissions to since all those choices just get loaded into the field.

Typically when a builder is looking to maintain that control we recommend using a join table between the two tables to mimic a multi select field with an editable embedded report on the table B where you are making the choices pulled from the join table. This way you can have users select more then one choice and still control what records they are able to see by the permissions you set in Table A. I hope that suggestion is helpful Scott.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Scott,

100% agree with Evan. 

I have a personal vendetta against multi select fields for a variety of reasons.   I urge you to always build a new table and relate it as a Parent instead of using a multi select.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      ScottPugh
      Qrew Cadet
      Appreciate the feedback Don and Evan.   I guess my focus is more on the use of the 'Shared field' concept and that role-based data rules don't appear to apply to that concept.      My assumption is this behavior would be the same if I was using the 'Shared field' concept as part of a multiple choice field...

So good feedback on using relationships for the specific scenario- but still have a concern that the 'shared field' concept appears to be a loophole around Role based data visibility rules- such that I need to go back and and review all uses of Shared fields across my apps...

Seems like since such effort was put into the data visibility rules it should be the 'end-all-be-all' anytime a user is viewing data

Scott Pugh