Forum Discussion

ZachCase
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

What Does This Hidden Input Do, and Is It Safe to Remove for a Specific Use Case?

I am adding some functionality to a form that has a field that quietly updates the RedirectURL to a code page we have created. To get to this form, a user comes in from an "Add Entry" button on a record view. When we save the form, the RedirectURL is not respected and instead, we are taken back to the record view. I was troubleshooting as to why, and came across this hidden input that, when present, stops the RedirectURL from being respected. However, when I remove said hidden input, the RedirectURL value is respected and I'm taking to my code page.

The hidden input is: input type="hidden" name="z" value="ddbm"

I assume based on the tests that this just tells Quick Base to return the user to the record view the request originated from. Is there anything else special about this hidden input? Or can I safely delete this input dynamically when I need the RedirectURL to be respected even when the request originates from a record view?

Couldn't find any documentation on it from searching Google, so I would feel a lot more comfortable if I just got confirmation that removing this element won't break anything.

3 Replies

• It isn't documented and it used in conjunction with returning to the prior page. I presume it is some type of optimization used to return to a cached version of the report stored on the QuickBase server rather than generating the report anew each time the page is visited. This is speculation.

In general you can delete these ancillary parameters. You might want to read the bottom of this post which provides some info on related issues:

Some Notes On QuickBase URLs
    https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/some-notes-on-quickbase-urls-i-had-written-up
      ZachCase
      Qrew Trainee
      Awesome, I appreciate the quick response! Thank you for the insight.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      I probably should add that RedirectURL parameter to the list of redirection mechanisms there are. I think there are about a half dozen of them scattered about QuickBase.

Mark if you are reading this I think you use a redirection parameter in some of your native URL examples that I have not enumerated. Save me a difficult search and let me know what is it?