Forum Discussion

DanielJohnson2
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Why do APIs/webhooks run before Pipelines?

I'm doing some testing on an app and noticed functionality based on APIs/webhooks was completing its task well before the pipeline was triggered. The pipeline trigger was a field on a form, so when I saved the form both the API/webhook and the pipeline should start. Why does it take longer for the pipeline to start? I'm asking because I'm thinking of deploying a process whereby this order matters. If the were reversed, and the pipeline fired first, the webhook wouldn't run. Will it always be the case that pipelines will be slightly slower to trigger and run than APIs and webhooks?

Thanks,

------------------------------
Daniel Johnson

9 Replies

• A native Webhook will always Trigger instantly and much quicker than Pipelines. A Webhook just fires while a Pipelines needs to fire up a complex engine.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DanielJohnson2
      Qrew Trainee
      Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think there's any possibility in the future of Pipelines being trigger first? Sounds like you don't.

Daniel Johnson
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        A pipeline can fire a web hook. So if you need to have things firing in sequence then they should all be put into the pipeline and then the pipeline will run them in sequence.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com