Forum Discussion

SarahClark
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

Combine child records from various tables into one report

I am building a legal case manager. I have 3 child tables connected to the main Cases table - they are Documents, Emails, and Other Communications.

What I'd like to do is have a report called "Activity Summary" which combines the individual records from the child tables into one report sorted by date. (In other words, a list of the documents, emails, and others will appear in the same place in chronological order.)

Is there a way to do this?

I thought about creating a new table called Activity Summary and then creating an automation to create a new record in the Activity Summary table every time a record is created in one of the child tables. However, it doesn't seem like there would be a way to access the original records directly from this new table. (For example, if I see an email dated 2/11/19, I want to be able to click on that and get to the original email.)

What are my options?

6 Replies

• Are there any connections between Document, emails, and other communications? Or, are they are only and directly connected to the main case table?
  • You can make a relationship between the original record as the parent and the centralized table as the child, and then when looking at the centralized table there can be a link to the original record.  The Automation will easily be able to populate the related original record.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      You may want to make a formula rich text field with a hyperlink to have just 1 easy link to click to get to the correct original record as you would have multiple relationships to that Child Table so multiple Original record fields for [Related original email], [Related original Document], [Related original other]