Forum Discussion

Re: Search all parts of a combined text field and delete parts that contain a certain string

For example a record might include the following:

[Fiscal Year of Travel Start]  Example: 2021
[Combined Text Field] Example: 2021+Words and prices ; 2021+Different Words and Prices ; 2022+Words and prices ; 2022+Different Words and Prices

My goal:

Formula which says, if Fiscal Year of Travel Start = 2021, then only keep parts with 2021+.

After that, ill do a search and replace to get rid of the 2021+, or whatever fun stuff I want to do. Note - the plus '+' sign I only include because I find it helpful in searchandreplace or using left or right, as my 'Words and Prices' can actually include 2021 coincidentally, so I just stick an impossible character onto my 2021 just in case.....

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

2 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Normally I would do a brute force solution and use multiple formula variables to Persaud the individual parts and then have a big gift statement to look for when I want.

But it really sore to ago they gave us a new function called FIND. 

This works exactly the same as it does an example where it will give you the position where a certain phrase is located.

I have not had a reason to use that myself but I may give it a try if I get a moment using your example.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      I just did brute force and have it working, so i could do my copy paste now for as many parts as I anticipate. However, I'll also check out the find function (I didnt know about it) and post back if it works for my use case. Thanks!

Update: I think find is not helpful in my scenario? Let me know if you find otherwise. Near as I can tell it only gives me the position of the first instance of my string, so even if I can use it I need to at some point brute strength it and check every part.

Mike Tamoush