Forum Discussion

Re: Automation to add multiple records to a child table.

There are a few solutions, but how long (how many weeks) is your longest possible project?

------------------------------
Mark Shnier (YQC)
Quick Base Solution Provider
Your Quick Base Coach
http://QuickBaseCoach.com
mark.shnier@gmail.com

3 Replies

GeorgeBramhall2
    Qrew Cadet
    in looking at our nearly 100 Active projects, the longest duration is 73 weeks and our shortest is  week.

George Bramhall
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      I can generally describe the approach I would use in this situation but it might need an hour of one on one consulting to get this working.
      I would set up a helper table with a single record in it called automation focus. What a project is created or when the user pushes a button this record would be updated with the record ID of the parent project record and the number of weeks.  It will also need to be supplied with the start date of the project.

That would also be a table with say 200 records in it with record ID is numbered from 1 to 200. This table would receive the information from the automation focus record by one of the relationship and that's with no the record ID of the parent record and the number of weeks record.  This 200 record table would then have the calculations for the mile stone dates and would have a checkbox feel to say whether or not the particular date was needed. For example if the project was only five weeks then only the first five records would be  checkboxed.

Then the process would run a saved table to table copy and copy the check box records or the day before five or 73 of them across to be children of the focus project record. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        GeorgeBramhall2
        Qrew Cadet
        I was thinking I was going to need a 3rd table for this to work. I follow your plan for the most part. Let me take a stab at it and then will let you know if I need some additional consulting time.

George Bramhall