Forum Discussion

JeffMickelsen
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

Archiving Data

It has been my experience that data based applications run better when old generally irrelevant records are archived into a historical archive table. Typically these records are still required for historical analysis, but are not needed in day to day operations. I would like to plan and implement an archiving methodology for my app to be run on a quarterly basis.

I am not now and do not expect to ever get to the 500MB table limit. I just want to keep my app running well and responsive.

Is there a recommended way to archive these old records. If so, can you provide details on how best to implement it.

Or am I foolish to worry about this now. My app is just going live and is only adding less than 400 records a week.

3 Replies

• You are certainly planning head.  but you are absolutely correct, that like a frog getting slowly boiled, apps do slow down as the amount of data increases.

If you have the luxury of lots of room in your plan for the # of apps, the easiest way is to simply make copy of your app and then lock down the role access to view only.   Before you do that you would make some reports in your large tables to purge out old data (but do not yet purge).

Then you would copy the app with data.  Then you can go ahead and manually run the purge report and use the More .. button to delete the old records.

You may choose to purge the new data from your archive app, just so there is no overlap.

TroyMaharg
      Qrew Trainee
      Take a look at Quick Base University under Advanced > Record Archiving and Snapshotting.  The lesson utilizes a secondary application called Zapier (much cheaper then Workato) which you can automate the process instead of manually archiving.  Additionally this can be done in a similar fashion with Quick Base Automations but if you are limited to only purging 1000 records per run which may cause issues depending on your needs.

For the most part I don't run into size limitations but I do have a couple apps with tables the run into the millions of records being added each year and archiving is a must for them.  You can keep an eye on the apps through Show app statistics under App management to monitor size of tables.