Forum Discussion

MattMakris
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Dynamic form rules not working when using multiple choice field values as trigger

I'm running into an issue when trying to configure dynamic form rules based on the values of a multiple choice dropdown field values as the trigger for the condition. There are three options (4 if you count blank value) in the "Management Fee Settings" multiple choice dropdown field with actions beneath each:

1. No Management Fee
    1. Show/Require: `EMSC Margin`, `Agency Partner Margin`, `Margin Total`
  2. Invoiced for Management Fee Only
    1. Show/Require: `Management Fee`
      Hide: `EMSC Margin`, `Agency Partner Margin`, `Margin Total`
  3. Invoiced for Ads and Management Fee
    1. Show/Require: `Management Fee`, `EMSC Margin`, `Agency Partner Margin`, `Margin Total`

It's not working the way the conditions would imply. These fields aren't listed in any other rules other than `Management Fee Settings` visibility. Here are screenshots of the form rules described above:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Here is a screenshot of the actual form:

------------------------------
Matt Makris

6 Replies

• np
    You need to scrap your rules and start over by making a Rule per field that needs to be controlled  and not a rule per "Management Fee Settings".  So you just gotta get your mind right.

See my Cool Hand Luke posting here. 
    https://community.quickbase.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=103&MID=34759&CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804&tab=digestviewer

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MattMakris
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks for the quick reply, Mark. I'm not sure what you mean by "Rule per field that needs to be controlled". Is this due to a glitch in the software? I've deleted the rules and started from scratch three times now with no luck.

Matt Makris
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        no, this is not a Quick Base bug, this is a bug in your thinking.  :)

Fo example,
        Your first rule says, among other things, to show EMSC margin
        Your second rule says, among other things, to hide EMSC margin

So those rules are in conflict.  You cannot control a show/ hide or require/unrequire for the same field in two different rules.

I presume that your post is raising the issue that your form rules are not working as you expect them too and also, not stated, you have pink warnings about your rules.

I'm suggesting that you follow the instructions in that earliest post and to make a rule specifically that says when to show EMSC margin. That will be Rule 1.

Then move onto the next field as Rule 2.

etc ...

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com