Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 11:24
    I think I am missing something obvious with a summary report I am trying to build. I have a lot of projects. Some projects have been submitted, some have been approved, some have been canceled, some have been executed. Of course, some projects fit in to multiple categories (one project may have been submitted, approved, and executed). They also each have a total cost associated with them.

I can have triggers easily enough to show which fit into which category if needed.

All I need is a report showing on the top columns 'No of Projects" and "Total Cost", then on the rows "Submitted" "Approved", "Cancelled" and "Executed".

The difficulty I am having is because some projects fit into multiple categories. I cant figure out how to account for this? What am I missing?

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 11:40
    A summary report may only have 1 Project appear once, and that is your obstacle that you want a detail record to be summarized more than once on the same report.

But you can summarized many different fields!  That is your wiggle room here.

So you will need to create a field on each record for fields like
    Num. Approved.  This will be a 1 or a 0.
    Num. Submitted. This will be a 1 or a 0.
    Num. Cancelled. This will be a 1 or a 0.

So a single project could be a 1 on each of the above. 

​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 11:49
    But even so, then don't I have to Group by one, THEN by another, THEN by another? Or do I use them in the summary section, and if so, how do I incorporate the total cost?

Mike Tamoush

• 4.  RE: Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 11:53
    A summary report will allow you to have multiple fields for the summarize what.  That will be separate from the group by.  

I think in your case this will be a one line report and you will need a dummy field to summarize on, like a field that calculates to the word "ALL".

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 12:07
    That mostly works, and I can get all my items as wanted up top as summary columns, but I cant come up with a trick to see my total costs for each one of those columns.

Mike Tamoush

• 6.  RE: Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 12:13
    Well its the same story,  you will need to have 3 more fields on the record. 

But Plan B is If you really want to lay out the information on a "square" type layout, you would need to create a helper table with just 1 record in it and summarize the totals up to that record. 

Then you could lay them out on a form nicely.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Summary Report

Posted 05-19-2020 12:26
    Ahh. Summary table is probably the way to go. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious with summary reports. Thanks!

Mike Tamoush