Forum Discussion

ASullivanFFRASu
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

I would like to list the attachments in a single field, to be referenced using a relationship in another form?

I have attachments within Table A, called Publication Tracker, and I would like to quickly access these attachments via single field, both for a report and so I can ideally pull this info into another Table B, called Project Tracker. I have used the List formula field which would be perfect except it just lists the attachments from the selected fields as text, rather than links to the documents.

Is this possible to do, and how?

12 Replies

• Dear A Sullivan ,

The formula "List" always turn back a string with the information in this fields , but if there is not data but a attached document, then the formula will turn you back the name of the attached documents ;

See;

Description: Concatenates (strings together) all arguments starting with the second argument, using the first argument as the delimiter between them. If one of the arguments is blank, it and the corresponding delimiter are omitted.

Example: List("-", "a", "b", "d") returns "a-b-d"

List(", ", "a", "b", "", "d") returns "a, b, d"

List(", ", [Last Name], [First Name]) returns "Last Name, First Name" if both fields are not empty, returns "Last Name" if [First Name] is empty, and returns "First Name" if [Last Name] is empty.

List("\n", "Name", "Address Line 1", "", List(", ", "City", "State"), "Zip") returns
    "Name
    Address Line 1
    City, State
    Zip"

But rather to create a new field with this attachments, you can create a relationship between  the two tables (https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/about_relationships.html)

Publication Tracker  < Project Tracker

You make "look up" fields in the son Table "Project Tracker" ,and the information will be pulled down from the related record in the parent table "Publication Tracker" to the son "Project Tracker" table.

Other option; 

Did you try the report link field?. It lets you to show information from another table without have any relationship.

I am using it in the forms to display information, in my case Project , because all the information related a project has a field "Project number" in all the tables, I can display in a single Form all the information related to the same project even when the tables are not connected.

Here is a short explanation ,

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/field_type_rptlink.html

and here is a very illustrative video with some examples,

https://university.quickbase.com/distributing-data-with-enhanced-reports/70936

I hope it helps.
  • You do not need to concatenate the actual file attachments, you need to concatenate a link to each file attachment.

Here is the syntax to make a link to display a file attachment.  Get it working on the parent table and then use it in any List (...) formuals or lookups

URLRoot() & "up/" & dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#] & "/e30/v0"

Replace the 30 with the fid of the field holding the file attachment and you are all set.  
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Actually, I think it needs a slightly different syntax if you were going to list them together. I will post back to this forum in the next hour or two. In the car right now.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Not tested but I think that the syntax will need to look like this.  It will be a formula Rich Text field Type - not a formula URL

var text Words = ToText([File Attachment 1 field]);

var text URL = URLRoot() & "up/" & dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#] & "/e30/v0";

"<a href=" & $URL & ">" & $Words & "</a>"

if you make one of those for each file attachment field, then you should be able to use a List statement  in a formula Rich text field to list them.

List("<br>",
      [Link 1],
      [Link 2],
      [Link 3],
      [Link 4])

Post back if you have any problems.
      ASullivanFFRASu
      Qrew Trainee
      I am missing something, I am sure:

var text Words = ToText([FFSP Top 5 Cover Sheet]);
      var text URL = URLRoot() & "up/" & dbid(_DBID_PUBLICATION_TRACKING) & "/a/r" & [Publication Submission#] & "/e30/v0";

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: Fleet & Family Support]);
      var text URL = URLRoot() & "up/" & dbid(_DBID_PUBLICATION_TRACKING) & "/a/r" & [Publication Submission#] & "/e30/v0";

var text Words = ToText([CYP Top 5 Cover Sheet]);

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: Child & Youth]);

var text Words = ToText([Housing, Lodging, Navy Getaways Top 5 Cover Sheet]);

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: Housing, Lodging & Navy Getaways]);

var text Words = ToText([SFA Top 5 Cover Sheet]);

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: Sports, Fitness & Aquatics]);

var text Words = ToText([REC Top 5 Cover Sheet]);

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: Recreation Programs]);

var text Words = ToText([LIB Top 5 Cover Sheet]);

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: LIBERTY Programs]);

var text Words = ToText([FBE Top 5 Cover Sheet]);

var text Words = ToText([Publication Submission: Entertainment & Dining]);

List(", ",
      [FFSP Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: Fleet & Family Support], [CYP Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: Child & Youth],  [Housing, Lodging, Navy Getaways Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: Housing, Lodging & Navy Getaways], [SFA Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: Sports, Fitness & Aquatics], [REC Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: Recreation Programs], [LIB Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: LIBERTY Programs], [FBE Top 5 Cover Sheet], [Publication Submission: Entertainment & Dining])