Forum Discussion

NikkiWalters
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Automatically check a box when any change is made to another field

I need a checkbox to automatically set when any change is made to drop down field.  Both fields are any the same table.  It's not conditional based on what the field is changed to, just that a change has been made by a user.   I know there is a probably and easy formula, but I can't come up with it.

6 Replies

• I would create a form rule:
    When the record is saved
    any conditions are true
    field 1 has been changed
    field 2 has been changed
    Action
    Change checkbox to checked.
  • It worked while editing in the form.  However, it does not seem to work when editing in a grid mode, editing multiple records. Is there another way to do this?
      GilbertSpigelm2
      Qrew Cadet
      Unfortunately, form rules do not work in grid edit mode and there's no way to create a formula to indicate a field was changed. I only see two options in grid edit: 
      1. Have the field capture the history in order to see when it was changed.
      2. Create a formula field to look at the last modified date and have a formula checkbox to look at a date range of last modified. For example if the record was last modified in the last two days, display as checked. Problem here is that you're looking at the record and not the two fields.
      I know many of us entered a User Voice asking for the ability of applying form rules to grid edit.
  • An option which will work in both Forms and Grid edit is setting up an ACTION.  The trick here though is that you need to edit the record that you are on, and the way to do that is not so obvious.

You will need to set up a Report Link field type and on the left side select [Record ID#] and then on the right side navigate to the same app, and same table and then the [Record ID#] field. then the Action will edit the same record you are on which you select that as the Report link field.

Here is some help on ACTIONS 
    https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/about_quickbase_actions.html
  • Have to admit, I lost you at the left side/right side.  Do you mean setting up an action in both tables?

• I was trying to explain how to set up the Report Link field to point to the same record you are editing.  it is not obvious how to set up an ACTION to edit the record which changed as the setup options seem to be to ADD a record or edit related records.  But it does not explicitly say how to edit the record which was changed.