Forum Discussion

MickGraham
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Show Properties based on Customer Preferences

I have a properties table which has number of bedrooms, price, country etc
I have a customers table with preferred Bedrooms, Price and Country etc.

How do I match up the properties that fit ALL criteria with the preferred fields in the Customer Table.

36 Replies

• Well, there are a variety of different ways to accomplish this, depending on the output you desire.

1. You could create a button on the customers table that would open a report of matching properties based on the customer preferences. (They would only be viewable when clicking the button)

2. You could go to the properties table and use dynamic filters or advanced search to create a similar report.

3. You could create a many to many table (customer properties) that would allow you to link all matching properties to a customer and from there track activity against each customer property. (this would allow you to see their list while looking at a customer record. You might want a button that would go find all the properties and create the child records automagically if you go with this way. 

Do any of these sound better than another? What is the specific output you are looking for?
    MichaelGraham2
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I was looking to have an embedded report on the customer form that contains the properties that match the criteria in the customers preferences.

Bedrooms in properties >= customers preferences
    And
    Price in properties <= customers max price

Etc.. .
  • I don't think that it can be done with an embedded report. It will take a button push at least, although e results after the button push could be on the customer preferences record.
      MickGraham
      Qrew Trainee
      I was trying to do with a filtered report but I couldn't work out how to get it to search through all the properties.   It seems like it should be something simple but its not?
      MickGraham
      Qrew Trainee
      I created a relationship between customers and properties and passed up the customer preferred fields up to properties.  Then I created a report in properties with Ask User to select the customer and then another filter to show properties where bedrooms >= to preferred bedrooms.   Still doesnt work ???
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      There is not a way to simply make a relationship between Customers and properties as you have no natural connection that a property belongs to a single customer.

The lowest Tech solution is to create an <ask the user> report which is waiting for the answer to the number of bedrooms  >= <ask the user> and the price is <= <ask the user>.

Then create a URL formula button (probably check the box to open in a new window) on the customer preference record like this.

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_my properties _Table] & "?a=q&qid=xx&nv=2&v0=" & totext([# of bedrooms]) & "&v1=" & totext([Price])

So in English that says run the ask the user report qid of xx and  and there are going to be 2 variables - ie questions  (nv=2) and the answer to the first variable v0 is the # of bedrooms and the answer to the 2nd question v1 is the price.

So the button will run the report and answer its own questions and display the result.
  • Mick,

If you would like help with the correct / not low tech way of actually solving this the way you've described, contact me via the info in my profile. I'll see if I can send you an example solution in a bit.
  • Mick,

I have created prototype screenshots.

Following is for Customer Preferences - each record has link to show properties based upon preferences and clicking the link should show properties as per preferences.

Following is the list of properties.

Following is the list of properties that would be shown to  customer1.

Following is the list of properties for customer2.

Following is the list of properties for customer3.

Please send me email to nealpatil @ gmx.com if you are interested then I can build prototype.

Thanks,
    Neal