Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Multiple relationship drop down in the same form?

Posted 05-31-2018 12:11

Inside a PM app I have an Issues table and a Contacts (resources) table with the contacts < issues relationship.

When an issue is raised there is a "raised by" field and an "owner" field, both of these fields are currently set as Text - Multiple Choice with the choice "from another field" pointing at the Contacts table, this works as a picker but doesn't allow entry of new contacts as you would get with a relationship drop down. 

NB: I realise the "raised by" field duplicates the "record owner" field, but not everyone who needs to have their name in "raised by" will be a user of the QB app

Is there a way to use the "contacts - name" field twice in the same form?  Just to avoid frustration from the people completing the form that they have to drop out of the issue and move to another table to create a new contact.

• 2.  RE: Multiple relationship drop down in the same form?

Posted 05-31-2018 12:18
    Hi Mark. You can create two relationships between Contacts and Issues. One relationship defines the issue owner and the other identifies who raised the issue. Just be sure to change the name of the reference field from Related Contact and Related Contact2 (or whatever it defaults to) to something meaningful. It would also be a good practice to leave a note in the comments tab of the reference fields explaining why you created a second relationship.

PHILLIP DENNIS
    Principal | Watkyn LLC
    (954) 900-6690 | hello@watkyn.com
    www.watkyn.com

• 3.  RE: Multiple relationship drop down in the same form?

Posted 05-31-2018 13:10

Thanks Phillip!  I genuinely hadn't thought of just creating another relationship, much appreciated!

The contacts table is going to end up riddled with relationships since I have the same situation in a risk, change and decision log as well.