Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Project Phases

Posted 10-09-2017 02:51
    I'm new to the software and trying to customize Project phases in a way that they will all be used as unified platform of  built-in tasks for each project. I customized the project phases already but I cannot embed them in the actual projects. Any suggestions on how to implement Project phases?

• 2.  RE: Project Phases

Posted 10-09-2017 15:20
    The best design and implementation of project phases is to have each 'phase' be a child record of the parent record.

AND because it sounds like you already have the sequence figured out.  You would create a 'template phase' list.  Then each time you start a new project, you click a button (that runs a script) and copies all of your templates, to the live project.

There are different thoughts on how to organize your templates, but if this sounds like it will work for you, let me know and I can provide my 'methods' for doing this.

• 3.  RE: Project Phases

Posted 10-09-2017 15:58
    Thanks Matthew,
    It sounds exactly like what I was looking to do.
    Create a template project with all the project phases set up.

I would love to get your methods for doing this...

I am not so skilled with programming - so - a method for dummies will be highly appreciated!

Thanks again!

• 4.  RE: Project Phases

Posted 10-17-2017 03:34
    The native solution that QB provides is called the "Copy Master And Details Record"

http://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/#copy_master_detail.html

For some use cases this works, and many people (including "partners" of quickbase) use this method on a regular basis.

But, when you want any advanced use cases, dependancies, or dynamic updates you will need to use a "template table" and use a custom javascript code page to copy the template to the new parent.

Give the native option a run, and if you get stuck or need something more, let me know.