Forum Discussion

PaulPeterson1
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago

Alternative to Form Rules

Is there an alternative to form rules to hide/show sections of a form.  Alternatively, is there a way to put one form inside another form.  I have reached the limit of 40 fields in the form rules and need to add a few more sections.

------------------------------
Paul Peterson

14 Replies

• Just to be clear, the limit on dynamic form rules is that it has a limit of 40 different non-scalar fields being used in form rules. By that they mean not more than 40 different fields which are either either formula Fields or look up fields.  There is no practical limit to the number of fields which can be used in form rules as long as they are scalar data entry fields and not formula or lookup fields, wich are limited to 40.  

I would suggest that the next step is to review the fields that are being used to see if you can eliminate the use of some look up fields.

For example.

If you have a relationship back to Company where the relationship is based on a field called Related Company, then the field Related Company is not to look up field. But the field Company is a lookup fields.  If you change the form rule to instead use Related Company you will save yourself one of your precious fields of the limit of those 40.

The next low hanging fruit can be to have a look at your formula fields to see if you have form rules that say depend on two or three formula fields. If that is the case perhaps you can make a new formula field that combines the calculation in those two or three fields and then you would be using one formula field which is more complicated as opposed to three different formula fields in your form rules.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      PaulPeterson1
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Mark,

Thank you for your suggestions.  Let me explain the current issue, how I am currently attempting to handle the for and see what you think.

There are currently 25 sections and more will be added shortly.  Each of the sections needs to be shown/hidden based on 1 to 20+ conditions.  I currently have a formula field for each section to determine if the section should be visible or not.  This is further complicated by the fact that if the section was shown and is then hidden, some of the fields that were updated need to be changed.  I hope this brief description explains the process.

What are your suggestions?

Paul Peterson
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        Without knowing what your use-case is, this seems a little overly complex for a single form. Have you considered breaking this up into multiple forms and using navigation buttons to direct the user to the next form?

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
  • The suggestions from Blake and Mark sound much cleaner, but if you must use dynamic rules, instead of having 25 formulas, one for each section, just have one long formula that says "if these conditions are true, "Show Section 1", if these conditions are true, "Show Section 2"....

Then in your form rules you just say, "If [Long Formula] = Show Section 1......"

I believe this means you are only using 1 of your 40 field limit (I'm assuming multiple instances of the same formula only count as 1 of your 40, if this isn't true then this wont work...)

Mike Tamoush
      PaulPeterson1
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Mike,

I think your suggestion may be the closest to handling this situation.  I could do most of what I need accomplish without relying on scalar fields.  Thank you.  I'm tied up on other parts of the app for today, but will revisit this in the morning.  I'll let you know the results.

Paul Peterson
        PaulPeterson1
        Qrew Assistant Captain
        Mike,

I finally had a chance to try your suggestion and quickly remembered why I didn't use that method.  I had tried that approach first but there is one simple reason that it will not work.  You will get a warning if more than 1 trigger tries to modify the same field.  The same section would appear in multiple categories.  

I'm using what Mark stated in the first reply to this post  and working to restructure the form rules while minimizing the number of formula and lookup fields.  

Thank all of you for your ideas and suggestions!

Paul Peterson