Forum Discussion

PraharshaK
Qrew Member
8 months ago

Authentication using username/email and password

Hi, 

I'm trying to get my users to authenticate themselves using their Quickbase username/email address and password credentials. These credentials are for the authentication to further make a few API calls.

In other words, instead of user token, I want to authenticate using username/ email and password while making Quickbase API call

------------------------------
Praharsha K

5 Replies

PraharshaK
      Qrew Member

Thanks, Mark. I saw the article you sent, I do have a few doubts:

When we are trying to authenticate using API_Authenticate, what are its limitations?

I'm trying to download a table with table ID and qID. Or I can work with listing all tables in a particular application and I want to work on getting these tables' data in Excel.

While using HTTPS API_Authenticate call, will I be able to do all of these? Some limitations are mentioned in this article: https://helpv2.quickbase.com/hc/en-us/articles/4418310927892-Welcome-to-the-Quickbase-API-Guide

Praharsha K
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

It will depend ultimately on the method that you're trying to do all of this? You can use API_authenticate but ultimately your users still need to provide that in some way - so if you're using a web page then you can have them enter their credentials and then store the ticket for their browser session and reuse that ticket over and over to query different tables, perform downloads etc. 

There aren't any limitations per say to using the Authenticate call - you can set your own timeout if you wanted so that it only lasts for 1 minute lets say but beyond that the only limitation of the auth ticket is related to security within the application itself, so if a user normally can't see a record or table then the ticket will maintain that security. 

I'll refer back to my first question though - and 'where' are you trying to do this? Unless you're using a generic username/password that everyone is using you will need some kind of interface for them to provide their own - which at that point you're better off having them just sign into Quickbase and use a codepage type setup that you can perform your queries and downloads via javascript since authentication would already be handled. 

Chayce Duncan