Forum Discussion

NirajShah4
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Can a selection in a TextList field populate another TextList field?

I have a textlist field in table and I need to user to select one or many options from that textlist field but on another (related) table, I want to display a text list field with the chosen options from the first field. The second textlist field should let the user select from the options that were selected in the first field.

I keep going in circles around this - has anyone had familiarity in doing something similar?

------------------------------
Niraj Shah

3 Replies

• Can you provide a bit more context as to what you're doing and the business reason behind it?

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      NirajShah4
      Qrew Cadet
      I can try!

On an event record, the customer adds a "Plan" where they need to be able to identify one or more "focus areas" that the plan and the event are associated with via the textlist dropdown. 

Back on the event record, the customer also adds "Activities" where they need to be able to choose from the the "focus areas" that were initially selected in the plan. They need to be able to choose as many of those previously selected "focus areas" for any one Activity. 

Basically, they want to be able to choose focus areas within the plan but then associate those selected focus areas to the activities that they add to the event. 

Niraj Shah
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        So, it sounds like you need some additional structure to accommodate what you're trying to accomplish. Here's how I would approach it:

1. Remove the Focus Areas Multi-Select Text and create a separate table.
        2. Create a new table for Plan Areas, which will be a child to Plans and Focus Areas
        3. Setup the the Plan so that the user sees a list of all Focus Areas, with a button next to each to add that Focus Area to the current Plan by creating a Plan Area record in the background.
        4. Setup a relationship between Events and Plan Areas where Plan Areas is the Parent and the drop-down is conditional on the Plan.
        The full setup would really require some 1-1 consulting, but is a fairly standard way to structure a process like what you've outlined. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you need assistance.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/