Forum Discussion

AndrewFry
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago
Solved

Child Table Fields - Is it an issue?

I came across a strange issue I am not sure how to correct or even if it needs correction.

I have two tables:
  • Work Orders
  • Contacts
I have multiple relationships (x8) setup between the Work Orders & Contacts table.
  • Contacts < Work Orders
In each relationship, I have the same 4 fields in the Child Table.
Each field starts as: Related Contact# - Contact ABCXYZ.
Example: Related Contact7 - Contact Name

In my first relationship, the fields were labeled as:
  • Related Contact - Contact Name

I had to remove the 4 fields from the first Relationship to test something, and then re-add them.
However, upon re-adding them, they no longer have the "Related Contact - " in the field names.
Now they only show as:
  • Contact Name
  • Contact Type
  • etc.

I have tried to remove them and re-add them, but no matter what, they always show up without the "Related Contact".
I tested it with the other relationships, and those show as "Related Contact# - " in the field name.

Is there an issue with the field names lacking the "Related Contact - " in the first relationship?
How do I get it back?  Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks for you help!

P.S. I manually changed the names of the fields to include the "Related Contact - "

------------------------------
Andrew
  • There is no problem. As you noted yourself if you don't like the name that QuickBase provided for you for a look up field you are free to change the name just like you are free to change any name of any field in Quick Base  as long as you don't duplicate an existing field that has the same name.

There are obviously some obscure rules under the covers as to the naming convention that Quick Base uses for look up fields. Mostly they begin with Related XYZ -   but sometimes they don't.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

1 Reply

• There is no problem. As you noted yourself if you don't like the name that QuickBase provided for you for a look up field you are free to change the name just like you are free to change any name of any field in Quick Base  as long as you don't duplicate an existing field that has the same name.

There are obviously some obscure rules under the covers as to the naming convention that Quick Base uses for look up fields. Mostly they begin with Related XYZ -   but sometimes they don't.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com