Forum Discussion

ChristineWhite
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago

Conditional Drop Down with Duplicates

I have been asked to restrict selections based on previous selections (typically a conditional drop down)  However choices are not unique.  

Choice 1: A or B
Choice 2: A or B
Choice 3: A or B
Choice 4: A, B, C or D

As an example:  If Choice 1=A, Choice2=B, Choice 3 should only allow for A and Choice 4 should only allow A & B ( I have been given an excel grid with all scenarios)

Updates will be made in Grid edit so cannot use form rules.  If I do go ahead with Conditional drop downs, will duplicate A & B's be needed to accommodate the Choices 2-4?  Thanks!!

------------------------------
Christine White

3 Replies

ChristineWhite
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Also wondering if there might be a way to build a look up table that can act as a filter to display the allowable choices

Christine White
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      I feel like there must be a better way than this, but I think this would work:

You have 1 table with all choices, I'll call it 'Selection' Table. Two fields: 'Letter' and 'Scenario'.

In the selection table, you have A, B, C, D as records, but multiple times.

A list of records would look like this: (Field 1 / Field 2)

1) A /  Scenario 1
      2) A /  Scenario 2
      3) A / Scenario 3
      4) B / Scenario 1
      5) B / Scenario 2
      etc....

In your main table you make two formula fields called 'Scenario for Choice 3' and 'Scenario for Choice 4'.

You set up if then statements in those formulas (If choice 1 = A, and Choice 2 = B, "Scenario 1", etc)

The first 2 choices can be simple dropdowns with only A and B as options (or you can make them relationships with filters if you really want, no real reason besides consistency in what the fields look like to the user...which might be nice)

The second 2 choices will each have their own relationship, with their own conditional rule. (Where the value in this table:Scenario for choice 3 = value in foreign table, scenario).

Mike Tamoush
    ChristineWhite
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I just ended up creating a standard conditional dropdown, duplicating values in order to create all allowable combinations.

Christine White