Forum Discussion

KimCameron2
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Creating a record in one table from another table

Hello!  I have a table "Customers" where we enter customer info when they call in.  I also have a table "Club Members" that is loaded with club member info.  I have people in "Club Members" that are not in "Customers" because they are not entered into "Customers" until they actually call in.  When they do call in, I have a lookup in "Customers" for member # that links to the correct member in "Club Members".  I hope that made sense.  What I would like to be able to do is have the ability to pull the address, phone, and email from "Club Members" into "Customers" as well, but I am not sure how to do that if I also have customers that will require me to enter their personal info manually.  I have thought about going ahead and loading the club members directly into the "Customers" table, but I have payments attached to many of the club members.  Suggestions?  I appreciate your time!​

------------------------------
Kim Cameron

2 Replies

KimG
    Qrew Cadet
    Hi Kim,

So is your "Customer" table basically a subset of your "Club Members", or do you have "Customers" who aren't "Club Members"? Here's how you could handle each case:

If ALL your Customers are Club Members, then you just need to pull the related fields from the "Club Member" into your "Customer" table.  You wouldn't need fields on the Customer because you would be pulling the related fields from the Club Member record.  In the Customer-Club Member table relationship, add the look up fields of email, address, etc.  (If someone is completely new, then they probably need to be entered first as a club member, then added as a Customer)

If you have some Customers who aren't Club members, then you would need a separate field, but could copy that info to those fields using an automation.  For that you could set an automation that says when a Customer is created, you copy the related Club Member fields to the corresponding Customer fields.

I hope this helps.

Kim G
      KimCameron2
      Qrew Trainee
      Hey!  Yes, I have some customers that are not club members, so the automation would probably be the best method.  I will give it a try!  Thank you for your help!

Kim Cameron