Forum Discussion

TimEgerton1
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Edit EOTI app record

Hi,

We have a EOTI app that users outside QB use to create a two step international travel request.

They are first required to complete the personal information fields on the form, including First Name, Last Name and Passport Number. This creates the record. This can be done at anytime, even up to 6 months before they want to travel.

Then 24 hours before travel they need access the record and enter health and travel details.

For step two we have looked at sending them a link to access the record via SMS and/or email. However there are some issues with that.

Is it possible for them to enter their First Name, Last Name and Passport Number on the EOTI (maybe using a different form?) to retrieve their record for entering step 2 data?

Thanks.

------------------------------
Tim Egerton

10 Replies

• How about you create a report with filter which requires (ask the user filter) user to enter combination of personal data , maybe Date of Birth + phone number + last name , then whichever record opens up

Prashant Maheshwari

•  If you're interested in a solution to send out an email a few days before the travel date there is a native  technique to send out individual emails and also there is a way to send a link with an obscure URL which makes it hard to guess into other records. Normal URLs in QuickBase or suffix with  &rid=123. 

Where 123 is the record ID number. But there is another syntax for the URL which disguises the record ID. 

You can post back if you want to pursue that route. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

PrashantMaheshw
      Qrew Captain

I would absolutely want to know how to disguise the record ID

Prashant Maheshwari
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

My notifications from this forum by email seems to have stopped for some reason so I am a little slow to respond. The syntax will allow you to display a record using an obscure URL.

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_dbid_table] & "?a=dr&r=" & QB32Encode( [Record ID#])

Give it a try and especially at Record ID numbers above 100 it would be pretty hard to guess into other records.   I suggest actually running the number wheel up to say 10,000 or 100,000, so start high. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com

• Having sensitive information like Passport Number, Birth Date, etc. held in an app accessible with EOTI permissions is not a recommended solution. It's not often that I say this, but I might suggest an alternate solution for this particular use case.

One possibility would be to setup a Google Form that captures the needed info and sends the user an email with a link to edit the response later. You can capture the responses in Google Sheets and have that then connected to your Quick Base application using Zapier or Pipelines. While this is still not an ideal solution (anyone with the link can view/edit a response), it does provide a bit more security than an EOTI app.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      TimEgerton
      Qrew Trainee

Hi Blake,

Thanks for your reply.

We are currently using Google sheets for this however we are processing about 1,000 people a month through COVID quarantine and Google sheets is not up to the task.

We have setup SMS/email/Facebook gateways to send out a message with a link to edit the second stage response however there are some people who don't have any of these messaging services.

Tim

Tim Egerton

NathanHawe
        Qrew Cadet

I've got to second Black Harrison's comment here.  It sounds like you're creating a publicly accessible database of people's names, passport numbers, and possibly health information.  

Nathan Hawe