Forum Discussion

1 Reply

• @Templates Smart Strategy

Welcome to the community!

Unless you want to relate every record to the previously created record manually, this can't really be done natively. It is difficult to determine what you are trying to accomplish without more context, but I'll take a stab at this making some assumptions about what you are trying to do.

My suggestion would be to have two different tables. One table could be the parent table, let's call it a "balance" record. This table has one numeric field called "Starting Total". You'll then want to create a relationship where one "balance" record can have multiple "change" records. This "change" table has one numeric field called "Change" the values you will enter in this field will end up being added to the total of the "balance" record, so if you want to subtract, you must type a negative value new records related to them. In this relationship you will want to create a summary field called "Total Change" that is a total of the "Change" field for all of all the change re​​cords related to a balance record. Then, in the balance table, you will create a formula numeric field called "Running Total" that is [Starting Total] + [Total Change]. This will give you the active running total of that balance. You can then add a lookup field into the change table of the running total so that you can see it when creating new change records related to a balance record. Let me know if you have any questions.

------------------------------
    Justin Torrence
    Quickbase Expert, Jaybird Technologies
    jtorrence@jaybirdtechnologies.com
    https://www.jaybirdtechnologies.com/#community-post
    ------------------------------