Forum Discussion

ChristopherSull
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Glitch with URL Formula Field Behavior (Copy Parent To Child Record)

Hello There,

I have a field which is URL formula based type, and functions by making a recursive copy of a parent record, including it's associated overview, data fields, and tasks (separate table linked), to a child record. The field is called: {Add Similar Project}.
However, when the field function is executed, it had previously allowed the user to rename the new "Child" project as whatever name they wanted to designate - via a new pop up window. Then it would complete the copy/over function and replicate the parent project to the new child, but under the newly named record as specified by the user.
But - now it's no longer functioning that way with the new name allowed to be entered in the pop up window. Instead, it provides a pull down list of all current and previously existing "Template" project records on a Template Report we have created, and asks the user to pick from one of those template names as the new record name for the copy-over from parent to child record.
This ultimately causes two duplicate "template" type project records to exist, the parent and the new one created under the same name - being "forced" on the drop down selection of recursive copy function window.

/tools/copyParentChildren.html a=dbpage&dbid=bk9txi273&namefid=16&pagename=copyParentChildren.html&rid=697

The above is the specific link that is related to my recursive copy window popping up, when the formula field {Add Similar Project} is activated.
What needs to be changed or tweaked on the URL Formula structure for this field, in order to eliminate the forced drop down selector and allow for a free-format text "naming" of the new {child} record which is being created with the copy-into..?  
I've taken this to QB Support as well - but since it's not part of strict native structure, there was nothing which could be advised by them.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!  
(Please see Attached Screenshots below)
Thanks!
Chris

------------------------------
Christopher Sullivan
Labeling Execution Resource Analyst
Quick Base Account Administrator
Hospital Medical Devices Labeling
325 Paramount DR
Raynham, MA 02767
(W): 508.828.1866
CSulli32@its.jnj.com

2 Replies

• It looks like that button is running some custom javascript code so no one here on this forum would be able to debug that for you via this Forum.

I see two choices.  Contact me off line and I will recommend some QSP Shops who have those skills, or else, state the goal of what you want to do and there may be a native solution, perhaps not quite as perfectly slick as your current workflow, but at least it will be native and supportable forever.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      .. or of course go back to whoever wrote that code and get them to fix it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com