Forum Discussion

JeffJeff1
Qrew Member
8 years ago

How can I use the revision history of a file attachment in a formula for another field?

I want to use the revision number of a file attachment in the file name of the attachment, so maybe a "last revision number +1" in creating the file name for the attachment.  How do I access the revision number in a qb formula?

5 Replies

• has anyone solved this yet?  I have the same question.  looking at the API guide, it would be nice fi there were a formula for VID like DBID, but that isn't the case
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    I know you can reference the version # when you are creating a formula field to read the value of the file attachment.

URLRoot() & "up/" & Dbid () & "/a/r" & [Record ID#] & "/e240/v0"

Not sure about pulling the number of revisions.

Maybe consider using a child table as the "Document" storage location, and then you can count the number of child documents, and have all sorts of control of revisions that way.
      JeffJeff1
      Qrew Member
      I'm somewhat ignorant to html, how does the v0 become the actual version # in this example?  wouldn't it always show as v0 as in quotes?
  • The version information of a file attachment is only available through the API_DoQuery method with the format structured (ie &fmt=structured) being requested.

<field id="6" field_type="file" base_type="text">    <label>file</label>
      <nowrap>0</nowrap>
      <bold>0</bold>
      <required>0</required>
      <appears_by_default>1</appears_by_default>
      <find_enabled>1</find_enabled>
      <allow_new_choices>0</allow_new_choices>
      <sort_as_given>1</sort_as_given>
      <carrychoices>1</carrychoices>
      <foreignkey>0</foreignkey>
      <unique>0</unique>
      <doesdatacopy>0</doesdatacopy>
      <fieldhelp/>
      <max_versions>3</max_versions>
      <see_versions>1</see_versions>
      <use_new_window>1</use_new_window>
    </field>

If you need access to the version information you have to use script or mockup your own versioning system using a child table as Matthew suggested.