Forum Discussion

NateMcKinney
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

How do I make a look up and make a snap shot?

I have a est end date field that I want to be able to save the original thing entered in the field but allow the original est end date field to be changed. How do I do this? and I do not know how to make a look up or make a snap shot.

2 Replies

• Hi Nate,

Is this estimated end date already a look up field coming down from another table or is it that all on one table you would like to have the Estimated End date in a field and if it is changed you want it written into another field on that same table? If so you could create a Historical End Date field that is meant to capture the original Est End Date and set up an Automation so that when the record is first created the Est End Date is also copied over into the Historical End Date. This way the est end date field can change over and over but the original value first added will stay recorded. It largely depends on how you want to capture the information, as if it is just the very first original end date you want to capture or all the changes, etc. 
    DavidBrogdon
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    There are a multitude of ways to accomplish this. 

1) You can just create two fields, 1 for Original EED, 1 for edited EED. Set a form rule that says, "If [Original EED] is not blank, make [Original EED] read-only.

2) You can create an [EED] field, and then create another field called [EED Snapshot]. Open the [EED Snapshot] field and under the settings, near the bottom there is a field that says "Snapshot: Get this field's value from another field and don't allow it to change." click that and select the [EED] field as the source for the value. Make sure to initialize fields if applicable.

3) Create two fields, say [EED] and  [EED Snapshot], create a form rule that says "When [EED Snapshot] is blank and When [EED] is not blank, change [EED Snapshot] to the value in the field [EED]. Keep the "fire on change.." checkbox checked. 

4) several ways to automate as mentioned already.

I recommend using the native snapshot functionality whenever possible, or hard coding it as in example #1