Forum Discussion

MICHAELSARGENT
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

How to show the last ""note"" record in a report

I have two tables, a project record table and a notes table.  The notes table has a table to table relationship to the project record table.  What I'm attempting to accomplish is to have a field in the project record table which captures the last note in the note table associated with that project.  That way when I run reports I don't have to rely on only showing a link to the notes.  I can actually show the last note in the report.  I hope this makes sense what I'm trying to accomplish.  I'd love any thoughts/recommendations from the community.

10 Replies

• I think you may need to create a summary field of the Maximum Record ID of the notes table.
      MICHAELSARGENT
      Qrew Cadet
      Forgive the newbie ignorance here, but how do I properly code for a summary field of the Max([Record ID#])?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      No problem. Go to the relationship where 1 Project has many Notes and there will be a button on the left side of the Relationship to Add Summary field.
  • right, and then make a reverse relationship where 1 Note has many Projects and use that Maximum Record ID# field on the right side of the relationship and lookup the note field up to the Project.
    KingslySamuel1
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I think you can also use the option of showing "embedded report" instead of a "link" in your project record table. To do that, you need to go to the form in Project Record Table and customize the form in the "Notes" section to display a report ("Display the related development documents directly on the form") instead of ("Display just a link to the related development documents"). That way, you can see all the notes related to that record. Hope that helps.
  • I think that for a new user a simple reverse relationship is all they need.  I don't see the need for a many to many relationship for this use case.
      ChuckGrigsby
      Qrew Cadet
      Oh sorry I don't really use them, thought they were the same thing.
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    This is a great use case for a webhook.  It keeps the app performance up without the reverse relationships 
  • Good point. I know that you folks are Cirrus ally try to avoid reverse relationships for performance reasons.

Any even better suggestion is to use an Action as that is less technical to setup. The trick though is to make the Report Link field which defines the record to be edited. It will need to be built on he child Notes table and edit the Parent.

So the report link field on the child will need to have the field [Related Parent] on the left and [Record ID#] of the Parent Table on the right.