Forum Discussion

DavidDeGraaff
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

I don't see a way to create a hierarchy from a table that just shows employee and manager.

Is there a way to handle the recursion for any number of levels, so I could have one table that has: 

employee   manager
bill              mary
mary           jane
jane            bob

and from there I can make sure that jane can see the performance review of bill, for example.  How can I start with the above table, with any number of relationships, and end with a table that has:

employee   manager1_   _manager2_   _manager3_
bill              mary           jane             bob

(As an aside, I have exactly the same problem with serial numbers on parts, that roll up to assemblies with a new serial number, but those assemblies roll together into larger assemblies with a new serial number, with N levels.)

All help greatly appreciated!

6 Replies

• A table can be relation to itself. So 1 Manager May have many employees. Except that the managers are actually Employees.

So then the actual relationship is that 1 Employee have many Employees. The field that the system will create called [Related Employee] should be renamed to [Manager] and then it should make sense.

As for Jane seeing Bill, who is two levels down from her, I think that is possible to do.

But having said that, I�m not sure it�s intuative for users when set up that way. There is an arguement for setting it up more traditionally, where each employee has 3 slots called Manager Level 1, Manager Level 2, Manager Level 3.
      DavidDeGraaff
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks for the clue.  I'll see how far I can get.  Note that the intuitive way you're suggesting doesn't work well with more people.  For example, if I move a group to a new manager, it's easy to just update all their managers, but not easy to update everyone all the way up the chain from their new manager.  And when a middle manager changes managers, you need to find them all over the place and update their reporting chain.  It doesn't scale.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      I agree. It depends on the required scale. If you have over a few hundred employees, then recursive is the way to go.
  • A few more thoughts:
    • You should only build one recursive relationship (eg employee to manager).  For additional reporting, add look-up fields (eg second level manager.)
    • When you need to change many records, create a report with the records.  Use the "More" button in the upper right hand corner of the screen to access the "Search and Replace in this report" feature.  See below.
    • Consider getting an extract from your company's HR system OR, better yet, integrate with it.  Some changes can then be automated.