Forum Discussion

RyanHuffman
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Pipeline(s) for Individual Outlook Calendars

I have users who would like to sync their personal scheduling (event) calendar in our app to their Outlook calendars and it seems like a pipeline is the way to go but because of the way Outlook connects to QB, I'm having a hard time visualizing how each individual calendar would sync independently. It seems like I would need to set up a separate pipeline for each user connected to their Outlook accounts but that seems like a lot to set up/ask of non-technical users.

Alternatively, I'm thinking I could set up shared Outlook calendars for each individual user and create a pipeline to sync each individually, which at least keeps the management and admin aspects in my hands--plus I don't think I would need to connect everyone's calendars to the Outlook channel. That feels clunky (?) but I just don't see another way. 

Has anyone used the Outlook channel to sync to user calendars independently? Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

------------------------------
Ryan Huffman

4 Replies

• I don't have an answer but I am working on a similar situation. In my case it is gmail but I believe it is the same concept. My client has access to a Gmail account and that account has access to a whole bunch of different individual user calendars. I have found that in the Pipeline you can search for a calendar, and then having found the calendar you could do an update on the calendar.
    So I don't have this totally working yet but if you can arrange it so one outlook calendar user ID has admin access to multiple calendars in outlook then you would only need to have one pipeline connection to that master calendar account and it should be able to make changes  in the individual calendars.  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Currently, Pipelines doesn't support shared calendars in Outlook. If you need the Pipeline to create the event automatically, you'll have to connect to each Outlook account individually. Alternatively, you could connect to a single 'administrator' Outlook account and have the Pipeline setup to sync events from Quickbase, with the appropriate employees added as Attendees. Your users would need to accept those, but it would certainly be less maintenance.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      RyanHuffman
      Qrew Cadet

Thanks Blake! 

So in your alternative scenario, I would technically be sending meeting invites to staff rather than simply syncing their personal calendars to QB, correct? How much flexibility does that give me with updating information in terms of both general event info and staffing changes? (i.e. if someone was assigned to an event and accepted the calendar invite but is later removed from the event, can I send a "cancellation" to just that user so they can remove the event from their calendar?)

Ryan Huffman
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        I have not done that, so I'm not 100% sure, but the connector does let you make updates to events, so I would assume it would act just like a calendar event managed by a person.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/