Forum Discussion

CaroleVandenbe2
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Relationships between pre-existing tables

My goal:  Have a table for Projects that pulls from two other tables, which happen to be populated via an external connection, Customers and Deals, but the user only has to select the Customer name once.  The one time will allow for Customer name to be on the Project, of course, but will also pull in other data from the Customer table (lookup fields) and from the Deals table.  Without user having to select the customer name, i.e. proxy for reference field, twice, once for each table.

I feel like I should be able to get around this via the reference field perhaps?  But I was told once to never touch that.  (Like that ever stops me, but it's scaring me in this scenario.)  

I also have a third table now, for other data relevant to the project that I need to pull in.  Which would mean the user would have to select Customer name three times and that is very un-user-friendly.  

Any help on how to get around this?  I can build formulas, but if we get out into the APIs, I warn that I will need really good guidance, as I've not really used them in the past.  Very open to learning though!  

Apologies if this has been answered before but I cannot find it via a search.  I think I've even asked this question before!  

Thanks!

Carole

------------------------------
Carole Vandenberg

2 Replies

• Can you tell me all you relevant tables and their relationships.  Which is  the one and which is the Many.  Also for each table what is the Key field?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      CaroleVandenbe2
      Qrew Trainee
      Yes, and I'll simplify a bit, because it gets quite convoluted - I'm pulling the actual data from SalesForce over to an internal set of tables and then pulling from them.  BUT if I can learn how to do this, it'll solve a big long-term gap for me.  I keep thinking there has got to be a way that I can apply every time I run into this.  And I've run into it often.  

• Main table for entry by users is Customer (one record per project for a customer).
      • Tables from which we need data to support this Customer project are Accounts, Deals, and Products.  
      • Accounts, Deals and Products are parent tables, with Customer as child.  
      • I need to pull fields such as address from Accounts, sales owner from Deals, and product values from Products all into the Customer record. 
      • Currently, to do so, the user has to select customer name from a dropdown from the Account able to pull address through, the customer name to pull sales owner through from Deals, and then again the customer name to pull product values through from Product.  
      • It seems like I should be able to have them input the customer name one time, and then I can set up the logic to read it into the subsequent dropdowns.  I have tried this but it doesn't work.  (Wish it were that easy, right?)  
      Thanks!  

Carole Vandenberg