Forum Discussion

DanielCamacho
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Rich Text Field child table records in HTML table

I'm trying to see if there is a way to query the related child records, maybe using javascript and a DoQuery, and have the results returned in a way to display them in a different way than a Report Link.  I'm new to javascript but have been using Quickbase for some time now.

------------------------------
Daniel Camacho

6 Replies

• Hi Daniel,

That is something that is going to become more possible with our planned enhancements for formulas. There is work being done to allow formula fields to better access data from across your applications and pull it into a formula field for you to use for calculations or in your need stylizing. It isn't live yet but it is something on the roadmap and you can find out more information about the planned changes coming right here

Was there something specific you wanted to do with the data as you stylized it? Was it just about building a different style or report or a special calculation/presentation?

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base
  • When you say "display them in a different way than a Report Link", what are you wanting to do?

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      DanielCamacho
      Qrew Member
      @Blake Harrison, the out of the box solution in Quickbase will display child records in a table.  There are limitations to how the child records are displayed in those table.  Is it possible to use javascript and an API call to obtain the child records by querying the related table and display the results of the query inside of a Rich Text Formula field? ​

Daniel Camacho
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        No, I understand the limitations of the Report Links, I'm just wondering what you're wanting to do with the data in the Rich Text Formula?  Are you wanting to display those records in a table that's styled in a way of your selection or are you wanting to capture/display data that could be accessed using Summary functions or other native functions?

I'm assuming you're wanting to style the table and if so, you're right about needing to use JS to query the child records. This would require either injecting JS into the form to display your HTML immediately on opening the record OR require the user to click a button to load JS from a Code Page. The first option is what most people have used in the past and presents a possible security issue. Because of this, Quick Base will be limiting this option in the near future, so I would not recommend this option.

With the improvements to formulas coming, it might be best to deal with the standard styling until these new options are available.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/