Forum Discussion

DavidLanglois
Qrew Member
7 years ago

Self Join Relationship puts Summary Field on Detail, not Master

Hi,

I have a Budget Entries table where each record represents one year. I've joined this table to itself because I need to capture the prior year's gross budget impact (year N needs to know the impact of N-1). 

When I try to add a summary field to the master Budget Entry in the relationship, a field named Prior Year Budget Gross, it gets added, instead, to the detail.

The effect of this is that my "Prior Year Budget Gross" is behaving as a "Next Year Budget Gross" instead, but if I add the "Budget Entries" default report to a Budget Entry, it appropriately shows its prior year.

Has anyone run into this before? Is it expected behavior that I just wasn't expecting? Is there another way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dave

2 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    The way it displays in the relationship is an error, but it still calculates properly.  Because its still a summary of any child records.

I was worried when I saw in on the details table too, but pay no bother.
      DavidLanglois
      Qrew Member
      Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't match my experience. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what's happening?

Here's an example, with irrelevant attributes removed and numbers modified:
      • Entry A has Reporting Year 2017, a cost of 100K, a prior year entry of Entry B, and a "Prior Year Cost" of 2 million
      • Entry B has Reporting Year 2016, a cost of 20 million, no prior year entry, and a "Prior Year Cost" of 100K
      • Entry C has Reporting Year 2018, a cost of 2 million, a prior year entry of Entry A, and no "Prior year Cost"
      So - it looks like the children are ending up summarizing their parents.