Forum Discussion

JessicaHaskins
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

Stopwatch built within form

I have the following form above for a fabrication department. The fabrication operator must fill out the form whenever he/she starts a new job. Instead of having the "Clock in" and "Clock out" fields, I'd like to create a stopwatch, similar to the one in the video below. I'd like the operator to be able to start and stop a timer whenever they'd like. The duration time would automatically appear in a field titled "Duration". I've looked into zapier.com and workato.com . I've also looked for other services, but most are very expensive and it'd be better to just let the operator manually opening their own stopwatch. Does anyone know any stopwatch that could be integrated into a form? I've found a quickbase app that is a timer, but that would be just as much work for the operator as manually opening their own stopwatch. Does anyone have any hints/tricks/resources?

32 Replies

• I have a novel solution and halfway through creating a demo. The demo will work from a report or view record page and timers will continue to count if started even when the page holding the counters is not displayed! And you will be able to have multiple counters active at the same time.
      JessicaHaskins
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks Dan. I've seen some of your demos and their very useful. When do you think you'll finish the demo?
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      Probably by the end of the week - I tend to work on these demos at odd times and refine it. The code is actually the easiest part. Here is a screenshot of what I am playing with now:

Normally you would not see the fields [Last Start Time] and [Last End Time] as these fields store an internal state of milliseconds values and allows the timer to "calculate the passage of time" even if the page is not currently being displayed.
      JessicaHaskins
      Qrew Cadet
      Hey Dan looks great. I've found different javascripts for stopwatches, but this one seems to have the most features https://codepen.io/_Billy_Brown/pen/dbJeh . I found one of the challenges is creatinga stopwatch that can have "laps" and can start and stop and start again at any moment.
  • This was pretty easy to do. Here you go:

StopWatch
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bnsjt3e2s?a=td

Paste Database
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&rid=666

Notes

(1) I used the library FlipClock:

FlipClockJS
    http://flipclockjs.com/

(2) This demo is intended for a user to observe and manipulate their own timers. If multiple users are manipulating the same timer there will probably be some confusion as the underlying state of the time may become inconsistent with what is displayed for another user.
      JessicaHaskins
      Qrew Cadet
      This is perfect thank you! What type of fields are the last start time, last stop time and last saved time?
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      The fields are numeric and hold elapsed seconds (not milliseconds). They are "passed" to the script using data attributes on the timer <div> and updated when the appropriate button is clicked. They should be considered internal states of the timer and not normally displayed.
      JessicaHaskins
      Qrew Cadet
      Could I still use the last start time and last stop time to create a new field to calculate the duration? I also created my own form to test out the stop watch, but the flipclock isn't displaying. I've attached pictures of the display, formula, variables and code page. Any ideas on how to fix it?

• I tried calculating the duration as shown in the comment above. I made a field and did Seconds([Last Saved Time]). However, the duration isn't saved. Is there another way I could display the duration?
  • Seconds([Last Saved Time]) is the correct formula but it is only valid as the total elapsed time when the Timer is stopped. When the Timer is running the elapsed time is evolving and [Last Saved Time] merely represents the time the Timer was last stopped (or reset)..

The [Last Saved Time] is saved with the timer is Stopped or when Reset.
  • I put the formula in a duration field as shown below.

But when I tried to start the timer and stop the timer at 8 seconds (as shown below), the duration field doesn't change. I understand the formula, but it's not working in the report. 

• If you wand to display the Duration field it will only be valid if the timer is stopped and you need to reload the page when stopped to display the correct value.

$("a.QBU_Stop").on("click", function(event) {
        var rid = this.dataset.rid;
        $('a.QBU_Start[data-rid=${rid}]').css("visibility", "visible");
        $('a.QBU_Stop[data-rid=${rid}]').css("visibility", "hidden");
        clocks[rid].stop();
        var lastsavedtime = clocks[rid].getTime().time;
        $.post(dbidTimers, {
          act: "API_EditRecord",
          rid: rid,
          _fid_8: parseInt(new Date().getTime(), 10) / 1000,
          _fid_10: lastsavedtime 
        }).then(function() {
          document.location.reload(true);
        });
      });
  • So I added a code page named duration.js and copied in the above code you commented. Would I only need to change the  _fid_ ? Would I need to change anything else? Or would I just insert the code into my existing code page for the timer?

I changed my duration field to this, but the duration field on the table doesn't have anything in its column:

_anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      My example did not use a formula field [Duration] = Seconds([Last Saved Time]).

If you choose to use and display such a field it will only hold a valid value when the timer is stopped,

My script set the [Last Saved Time] through the API when the timer was stopped and your [Duration] field will react to this change. However, you don't want to  create a situation where a displayed value is different than the stored value. So all you have to do is reload the page when the timer is stopped and when the page refreshes the stored value of [Duration] will once again be in sync with the displayed value of [Duration]

This is a generic concern. If you are using the API to change a field's value you never want to get into a situation where the displayed value is different than the stored value or it will cause confusion to your users,
  • >My script set the [Last Saved Time] through the API when the timer was stopped and your [Duration] field will react to this change. 

How can the duration field automatically change if it's not referenced in the timer field's formula or in the script? I understand you reference the last start time, last saved time and last stop time in the formula, but the duration field isn't referenced.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      >How can the duration field automatically change

It is a formula field so if the input changes (ie [Last Saved Time]) the formula could calculate a new value. I do change [Last Saved Time] via the API when the timer stop button is clicked.
      JessicaHaskins
      Qrew Cadet
      This is the very last part I need help with. I've tried editing the javascript myself, but I don't have a lot experience with it. Do you have any other suggestions to the comment below? It's greatly appreciated
  • Since [Duration] is a duration formula field that is dependent on [Last Saved Time] , then this is all I need to have in as the duration, correct? 

And since I need to reload the page, my code page should remain the same as the pastie, but include the highlighted part, correct?

But when I create a new timer, I try to start the timer and let it go for a 7 seconds. When I stop the timer, the page refreshes and the timer resets just goes back to 0 and the duration field doesn't save as 7 seconds. Below is a picture of what the table looks like, when it automatically refreshes. Why is this? Is it because of the script where it resets the all of the _fid_ as 0?

• I am fairly new to Quickbase and was looking to add a timer to the app/form which I have built. Would you be able to guide me or direct me to the appropriate tutorial to add the time to track duration of time worked on a particular case?

------------------------------
    Mohammad Moqueet
    ------------------------------