Forum Discussion

DavidBerndt1
Qrew Member
4 years ago

The sandbox is not really built for best practices

While I appreciate where this is, there are some glaring issues with the implementation that leave this feature being not able to be used in a manner all IT best practices would recommend.  Examples

1) Not being able to select what is promoted or not or selectively undoing a change.  While I understand the possible technical issues, having an all or nothing approach is not always appropriate.
2) Having to have all your tables in production.  If you want to create a new table and reference values from that table for a drop down in an existing table, you have to promote the table first before you can do that.  So basically you have to create all your tables, promote them, and then go and work on any other changes.  Hope you have a solid plan because if you need more changes...

A sandbox should be self contained and if you have to search into production in order to use it, then it isn't a true sandbox.

Are there other gotchas I should be aware of?  I was planning on introducing some sub-admins in but am concerned the more I use it that it may not be the option I thought it was.

------------------------------
David Berndt

7 Replies

• I did run into a surprise with the sandbox and that when you have the sandbox enabled, any automations which run saved table to table imports will not run in your production app.

I never quite understood why having a sandbox active would prevent the running of an automation in production but yes indeed I did get that answer from Support.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DavidBerndt1
      Qrew Member
      Were you able to find out if it was any automation or just table imports?

David Berndt
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        It was just Automations which run saved table to table imports.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com