Forum Discussion

UrsulaLlaveria
Qrew Assistant Captain
3 years ago

Trigger Field to be required only during Grid Edit

I have a weird issue that I am hoping someone can help me with.
Short Story: I need a field to be required, but ONLY when it is being displayed in a grid edit report nested in a form. I tried creating a new form specifically for grid edit, and added a form rule to that, but unfortunately, that doesn't work.

Long Explanation: We have a pipeline that triggers to create a set of sub records and displays as a grid edit report on a form for the user to fill out. Unfortunately, our users are not fully populating the grid edit report. We want to require a field to prevent the user from saving the form without updating the records. However, if we make the field required at the Field level, then it has to be populated in the Pipeline, which defeats the purpose of the user populating it. So we need it to be required only once the record has been created. 

Pipelines and Automations don't have a setting for modifying fields, so I am trying to figure out an alternate solution. Any ideas?

------------------------------
Ursula Llaveria

2 Replies

• Hi Ursula,

One idea that comes to mind to me would be to make use of a custom data rule on that table and build the rule so that the Pipeline creating the record isn't stopped from creating but future edits are. I do that in custom data rules by adding a condition that the only time the field being blank is ok is if the Date Created and Date Modified field are identical upon save. This means when a record is created I am not making it required but any other time they are going to get stopped if that field isn't filled in. I have an example of a rule like this with an Address field below. 

If([Address Field]="" and [Date Created]<>[Date Modified], "You must include an address on each company record")

Evan Martinez
      UrsulaLlaveria
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Evan!!! this might work, I am about to try it no, thank you so much

Ursula Llaveria