Forum Discussion

ThomasEasterli1
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

View rules propagating down to children and grandchildren

Under Roles > Permissions > Table Access 

View Permissions > Custom Rule

Does the rule created in the parent table propagate down to the children? For example, PROJECTS can have many WORK_ORDERS which can have many TASKS. Now say I have 100 PROJECTS records and I create my custom rule based on a type field that essentially divides the records into two groups. My rule excludes some PROJECTS records based on type. Would it also exclude those realted children records of the excluded PROJECTS records? Like would the related WORK_ORDERS and TASKS records also be hidden or would I need to make custom rules for those tables as well?

------------------------------
T$

1 Reply

• No, they do not automatically propagate down. So you would need to look up the field on which the custom rule is based down to children or grandchildren or great-grandchildren and do a similar rule. If the rule is complicated, I found the easiest thing to do is to make a nice clean formula checkbox field at the highest level like [Role ABC allowed to View].  Then you simply look up that clean checkbox field down and down and down and make a custom rule on each level of child table below.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com