11 years ago

what are looping relationships

Please help

what does this mean ?

Error Details:
CopyMasterDetail does not allow looping relationships

I have now almost deleted all my relationships but I still get this

4 Replies

• This was helpful, but you should make sure your button code includes "&recurse=false" to avoid the looping relationship modal error.
      DominicRodrigue
      Qrew Member
      Where would I enter this?  I was able to get it to work in a copy of my app, but not in the live environment.

------------------------------
      Dominic Rodriguez
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        I suggest that you post a new question to explain properly what you are asking.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Hi, Nic,

Thanks for posting to the QuickBase Community! A simple "looping relationship" is when a table is both a parent and a child of the same table. For example, Table A is a parent of Table B, and Table B is a parent of Table A. That's just one simple example of a looping relationship. Usually, there are more tables involved:

Table A ---> Table B -----> Table C ----> Table D -----> Table A

The above example is also a looping relationship because Table A is a parent of Table B, and -- through Tables C and D -- Table A is also a descendant of Table B.

Another common example we see is:

Table A ----> Table A

In this example, a table is related to itself, so it is always creating a loop.

The reason looping relationships don't work with Copy Master/Detail becomes clear if you think about my first, simple example:

Table A ------> Table B

Table B ------> Table A

If we set up Copy Master/Detail to copy a from Master (A) to Details(B), we encounter a problem. (B) is also a master, and so has details (A), which will then also need to be copied. But then details (A) is also a master and has details that need to be copied. In other words, we end up in an infinite loop and continue copying records until the table size limit is reached.

For this reason, Copy Master/Detail won't work with looping relationships. However, If you receive a looping error, you can use the Advanced Options settings in Copy Master and Detail Records to specify which relationships to copy, which can be used to avoid the loop and allow the button to work.

Hopefully, you find this information helpful!

Thanks,
    Gene Bixler

QuickBase Cares Team